The latter half of 2015 saw me running hither and yon to make a major life change and acclimate myself to a new job, a new city and a new routine. So even though the shift didn’t quell my hunger for arts & culture, I […]
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many
things which escape those who dream only by night
– Edgar Allan Poe, American author, poet and father of the short story
Only when love and need are one
And the work is play, for mortal stakes
Is the deed ever really done
For heaven and the future’s sakes
– Robert Frost, American poet
The place in which I’ll fit will not exist until I make it.
– James Baldwin, American playwright, poet, novelist and social activist
A writer is a world trapped in a person.
– Victor Hugo, French poet, playwright and novelist
The only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time.
– Jack Kerouac, American poet and novelist
Novels begin, not on the page, but in meditation and day-dreaming — in thinking, not writing.
– Joyce Carol Oates, American novelist and short story writer
National Poetry Month is drawing to a close this week and I haven’t added anything significant to the conversation. Partially, this is due to my odd relationship with poetry that isn’t read aloud at a local slam. Growing up, poetry was fun. It rhymed. It […]
The whole culture is telling you to hurry, while the art
tells you to take your time. Always listen to the art.
– Junot Diaz, American author and Pulitzer prize-winner for fiction